If you’re having problems with Windows Vista and a print server

Just wanted to help everyone out on the internets – this is a problem that at least a few people have come across (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Networking&thread.id=1020). It’s concerning using a networked print server with Microsoft Vista.

In my experience, the printer will either print garbage over and over, print nothing over and over, or print the first page over and over.  Either way, you’re wasting a lot of paper and toner, and it’s frustrating!

(Stop reading now if it’s not important to you :-P)

My specific setup may differ from yours, but this solved my problem, and it seemed to solve many others’.  I have an HP Color LaserJet CP1215 connected to a D-Link DPR-1260, and the computer trying to print is a Windows Vista machine.  The LaserJet and the print server are excellent pieces of equipment, definitely – just that they weren’t working together.

It appears that using Vista causes problems due to both:

1. Microsoft not complying with the Line printing RFC, by allowing a computer to NOT send the size of the data that it needs to the printer.
  2. Print servers also not complying with the RFC, by accepting the computer’s print request even though it doesn’t have that magic size included.

So the solution that I eventually found is this:

Go to printer properties, and select Configure Port:

vista-printconf0

Change the port’s settings to LPR (instead of RAW) if it isn’t already:

vista-printconf

And then check LPR Byte Counting Enabled.

By doing this, you are telling the printer “Hey, I’m going to print a document of X bytes, so only print X bytes worth”.  This way, the printer knows when to stop printing.  My printer would just keep printing the job over and over and over…

Hope this helps any lurkers!  Please leave a comment if you’re helped out by this, or if it doesn’t work – I might have some other ideas.

~Chris

83 Comments

1. Tim says:

I am also using HP CP1215 with DPR-1260. Your suggestion seemed to fix my problem. Thanks. By the way, my Port Settings page did not look identical to yours – my Queue Name field was blank. I had to enter HPColorLaserJet in the Queue name field to get it to work.

2. Wlad says:

Hi Chris!
    Thanks a lot for this article. Just was looking for solving the same problem with my CP1215 and some kind of TRENDNet stuff being my print-server. This one helped! :)

3. chillyham says:

Thanks, big help!

4. MikeT says:

Hi Chris:

Thanks for the assistance. It worked for me. My setup: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, D-Link DPR-1260 print server, Epson Stylus Photo R340 printer. For several months, my setup was working fine at RAW, then all of a sudden, the multiple copies problem started. I’m not aware of anything changing except for normal security updates. Hopefully, it will stay fixed.

Mike

5. Julia says:

Your solution works perfectly under Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit. Spent time with HP tech support and they couldn’t help, started google searching while I was on chat with them and was able to find your page, so gave it to the tech rep and also the manager there said they would use your link in their tech support now.
    thanks!

6. Chris Johns says:

Glad to see that everyone’s problems are helped by this. I realize that it’s a little more advanced than I made it out to seem – you actually need to enter in the Queue Name that is configured on your print server.

Sometimes, this is really easy to find – when you go into your print server, there should be a page for “Port Setup” or something like that. However, sometimes it’s a bit harder to find; a few older print servers that I had set up static port names (like ‘LPR001’).

Consult your manual – it should tell you how to set/find a “LPR Queue Name” for each port. If you have any questions, just drop a comment here and I’ll try to help you out!

7. Corey says:

I don’t have the owners manual, is there another way to find the queue name?

8. mcohrs says:

Worked like a a charm on a W7 to lj2035 using an old lpt print server. My Vista worked fine, but the W7 machine spit out endless copies of documents and test page, but only a single configuration page. Many thanks

9. mcohrs says:

By the way, I just made up a queue name

10. Appraizer says:

I tried your trick and it worked…..for a little while. Now I cannot get anything to print…first it would print only the 1st page of whatever I sent to the queue. Now it shows 2 pages in the queue for 1 sent to the printer…and nothing prints. On vista 32 bit and Linsys psus print router.

Help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

11. Marilyn says:

I have Windows 7, HP CP1215 with a netgear PS121 USB. I too discovered it after finding 100 copies on my printer! This solution worked!! Thank you!

12. Miker says:

Really really wonderful. You are the best. This worked for me a hundred thousand times over. I wish I could be a computer saavy as you are. You’re so smart.

Cheers Mate

13. Howard says:

It didn’t work for me. I also have HP CP1215, but I am connecting it to the USB port of an Airport Extreme (802.11n) Base Unit instead. I cannot find the queue name so I tried all the different suggestions here, but nothing seemed to work. It looks like the printer is not communicating with my laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) at all after I’ve changed the port setting from RAW to LPR.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

14. Randall Collura says:

Thanks for posting this information – saved me a lot of frustration!

15. C Brown says:

Thank you, solution worked. The boss is happy!

16. D.nick says:

To Chris: Thanks a lot! It helped me to fix the problem

To Howard:
    I have solved this issue also by opening port 515 on my Kasperky firewall installed on my computer (windows 7 x64).
    Maybe it will help you.

Regards,
    Dmitry

17. D. Johnson says:

Chris – thanks a bunch for posting this. Solved my issue with multiple copies printing from my laptop running Windows 7 32-bit.

18. Peter says:

Thanks heaps. Worked a treat for the CP1215 and an older HP JetDirect 175x using windows 7 x64. Well done.

19. Garret says:

This worked great! The only thing I had a hangup on was finding correct LPR QUEUE name. I found the name under the DPR1260 Device Info – Attatched Devices – LPR Queue Name. The dlink website was helpful in showing me how to find the LPR Queue Name: http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/?prod_id=2629&question=DPR-1260

20. Pam says:

when I hit configure port, I get an error message that it isn’t allowed. My ready light continues to flash as well.

21. Colin says:

Thanks for this page. I am using XP and a SITECOM printer server. Unfortunately I get an error when I try to configure the port. It tells me an error occured during port configuration. This operation is not supported. Hey ho back to the drawing board

22. Junnior says:

Thank you for your usefull help.

23. Kerry says:

Hi Chris,
    This is awesome, fixed my problem straight away, no more wasting paper or toner, thanks so much!!!!

24. Curtis says:

Thx a mil this solved it for me.

My HP laserjet professional P1606dn was “over printing” in Vista (works fine in XP and 7).

Changed it to LPR and used the Host Name as the queue name.

Thanks a mil again.
    Cheers

25. Judy says:

I’m using an HP Officejet 6500 E709 all-in-one wireless printer with Windows 7. For the first few months everything worked fine, then it suddenly started printing multiple copies of documents. I never know how many, and it happens from various apps. I tried to set it up to enable LPR byte counting as you descibed, but now it says it’s spooling for about a minute, and eventually errors out. Is there something I have to set on the printer itself to enable LPR? Thanks for your help.

26. I have an old, reliable LJ 1022n and I got this infinite printing bug when I first tried to print with Windows7 64bit.

I couldn’t get the Port Raw->LPR fix to work. I couldn’t get a correct LPR Queue Name that worked. But turning off “bidirectional support” instead fixed it.

27. win says:

Thanks. Putting in a random name for the queue was the final touch

28. Wayne Facca says:

That did the trick.
    I was up against a Win-2008R2 server where the user would print, and non-stop would happen. That trick fixed it and we are up & going – complaining is over.

29. HappyCamper says:

Thanks this worked for a HP LaserJet P2035N as well. Thank you again for this great hint.

30. gary neal says:

thanx! u had been looking for this will be back

31. Jan says:

Thanks! Worked great. Just installed HP Laserjet P2035n to network from Win7 32-bit. Good grief. It wouldn’t stop printing. Your solution worked. Thanks, again.

32. Kevin says:

The other way to fix this is rather than configuring the port, which I could not make work b/c of the queue name, is to uncheck “Enable bidirectional support”. Once I unchecked that, I was good.

33. Franco says:

I also have a DPR-1260 which I upgraded the firmware to 1.24 and a HP CP1215 on a Windows 7 PC. I have had the DPR-1260 in a box since Vista came out because D-Link could not figure out why it kept on printing page one of all my documents over and over until I shut off the printer. It did this with multiple printers. The weird thing is that If I printed on XP, no problem. Well, I had completely forgotten about this issue when I hooked up my new CP1215 to the print server, and then after the test page printed over & over I remembered why I stopped using this print server. I also just unchecked the “Enable bidirectional support” and problem solved! Thanks Kevin, and thanks Chris for this page, otherwise, I’d be throwing this print server across the room in frustration. I hope D-Link tech support knows about this workaround by now!

34. Gary says:

Thanks! Your workaround REALLY helped on a HP P2035 printer that was printing TONS of pages! Thanks again!

35. Randy says:

Worked on my CP1215 connected to a EN3700 JetDirect! Worked on both Windows XP and Windows 7…
    Thanks!!

36. thili says:

it worked thanks and keep up the good work

37. Ray says:

HP 2035n works fine on XP machines on same network.

This fix enabled us to use this printer on win 7 machines.

Thanks

38. chris says:

Nice! Corrected HP1022nw with sam problem

39. Glory says:

Thanks for the Great support.

40. Chris says:

like others here, your solution didn’t work. but de-selecting ‘Bi-drectional support’ did the trick. Thanks ever so much…W7 & 2035n…

41. Rob says:

Thanx Solved !

42. David says:

Thanks! Worked for an HP p2035n perfectly.

43. Steve says:

fixed endless stream of print jobs from teacher and student machines, all W’s7 64bit, to networked LJ2035
    Thanks

44. Mario says:

Solved! Win7x64, Digitus DN-13003, HP CP1215
    Thx

45. Rodolfo says:

Gracias Chris!!! Tenía el mismo problema con una Impresora HP LaserJet P2035n. Funcionó perfecto.

46. Furi says:

Thanks…. you saved me a lot of papers… HP LaserJet P2035N connected to TP-LINK TL-WR740N on Windows 7. Wireless SSID worked as LPR Queue Name. However, i ran the printer trouble shooter. Thanks again

47. Fier says:

Thanks, this one had me baffled.
    HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn
    Windows 7×64

48. Rick says:

this save me a lot of work also I have been looking for a solution for this multiple copy printing problem on a HP 2035n win WIN 7 Pro 64bit. thanks again

49. DJ says:

Thanks for solving this issue, worked like a charm on a windows 7 Pro PC with a HP Laserjet 2035n

50. wf says:

Thanks! Still works great!I used it on Windows 7 64 bit. Test page over and over and over… Didnt have the problem on a Vista 32 machine.